Nyum's Movie Reviews

Friday, March 04, 2005

Flight of the Phoenix



This was a surprising movie. It wasn't all that bad actually. I expected it to be horrible. I didn't think the story was all that good but it wasn't bad. The twist however, was entertaining. ;)

The Chinese actors they hired must be just random people off the streets because man, their Cantonese was so bad. Like... come on... everyone knows that if you are entering China, they speak Mandarin! So, for them to substitute the desert nomads with Cantonese speaking people, and poor speaking at that... was just bad taste.

Giovanni Ribisi's accent irritated me throughout the movie. I didn't like it at all. But he played the bastard role very very well! What I found really interesting was that, whilst they were in the desert, everytime they ran back into the plane for cover, the wind just happens to be blowing in the direction of the plane such that it's not blowing into the open end of it. Taking cover in a metal shelter where one end is completely open doesn't really help!

And I think this movie did aim for some product placement. If a person has a Sony-Ericsson P800, why in the world would they need the additional Palm Pilot... The P800 is a palm like device!

Oh... the ending... well... the whole aspect of the thing was a little weird, especially with the way the rest of the crew was positioned on the plane in the end...

Anyway, give it a shot. You may enjoy it.

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

2 Comments:

  • Yeah I totally agree with the ending!!

    By Blogger Papigiulio, at 8:10 AM  

  • Yeah! I mean... come on... They all just jumped on the plane and held on. I didn't see anyone strap themselves in and when the plane went for the nose dive down the canyon... it was like... "er... I don't think you guys can handle the g-force down".

    I understood why they positioned the people like they did. It was to balance the weight on the plane. And yeah right... as if the guy will become NASA's next best thing. That picture shot was a little lame.

    By Blogger Nyum, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home