Nyum's Movie Reviews

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Last Samurai



Absolutely superb!

The movie was riveting. The scenery, the culture, the portrayal. All done to perfection! Initially I didn't think Tom Cruise could have pulled off being a Samurai, but I tell ya, it was fantastic!

The swordsmen ship and the accuracy of the translations. Okay, there were a few lines where they could have used more translative detail instead of simplifying it so much into normal terms, but that's purely preference based. If it were me, I would have edited according to the speech pathology of Japanese people. I wouldn't have simplified it so it was standard American. But that's purely preference based.

The fight scenes were fantastic. The contrast between the two groups were clearly shown through uniform and armor. Proverbs and cherry blossoms. I loved it all. It could be cause I like the Japanese culture.

As Tom Cruise narrates through certain scenes, I could not help but agree with how he said that the Japanese are so disciplined that they work until perfection is achieved.

Other than my initial preference in translation comment, there was nothing I disliked about the movie. I thought it was just absolutely fantastic!

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325710/

Official Website: http://lastsamurai.warnerbros.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home