Nyum's Movie Reviews

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Merchant of Venice



Fantastic! Stunning! Absolutely brilliant! I loved it!

The portrayal of this story was done magnificently! From the scenery to the casting. Everything was suited to a treat. Well, there was that one dude where I looked at him and everytime I heard him speak or see him on the screen, made me remember him as the idiot team leader in a TV series I'd rather not mention. Oh alright, it's the idiot team leader (Mackenzie Crook) from The Office.

But my oh my oh my! Al Pacino was so damn good! His Old English was so fluent it didn't sound like it was acting. Some of the other characters didn't sound as fluent as I would have liked, but it's not something people normally pick up on. But man, Al Pacino's emotions and his general posture and everything he did was just so stunning!

I kinda expected a little more from Joseph Fiennes though. Especially since he's got experience with Shakespeare behind him with the movie Shakespeare in Love. Even then, it was still good.

And I loved that famous speech. I was almost able to recite as from I memorised it during my highschool years.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd;
It droppeth, as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice bless'd;
It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes:
`Tis mightiest in the mightiest; It becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptered sway,
It is enthroned in the hearths of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's,
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation; we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy.

So good. You should definitely watch this film. You may not understand it all as the English used is quite Old, yet, very compelling.

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379889

Official Website: http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/merchantofvenice/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home