Nyum's Movie Reviews

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Adaptation

Okay, I just sat through Adaptation and man, that was rather intense... I need a brain dead movie now after watching this and Donnie Darko... I don't want to be thinking so much!

Basically, it's a guy called Charlie Kaufman who writes the way he lives, and then there's his Twin Brother Donald who Lives the way he writes... And then there's an author called Susan who writes about life... but can't live it. And the person she writes about, John, has his life as a book... Waiting to be adapted. So confusing!!! (Funny enough, the actualy screen writer of this movie is called Charlie Kaufman... )

If you want it spoiled, keep reading...

So there he is, trying to adapt a non-fiction book into a movie, and as the movie progresses, you realise that the script he is writing IS the movie you are watching... but it gets weird. Half way through it, it no longer is his story... it becomes his brother's story. You notice it when you realise that the first half has everything Charlie likes and wants... and the second half of the movie is what Donald talks about... the sex, the drugs the chases...

Very clever movie!! I'm tempted to watch Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind now... but I don't know if I can handle 3 brainy movies... I need a comedy or an action flick... we were going to watch 2 Days from Now... (commonly known as The Day After Tomorrow...) but they all want to watch Eternal Sunshine... I don't think I can handle it.

I only started to get into these films after watching Being John Malkovich... I liked that... super weird, but pretty good!!

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home